Injured in a St. Louis Accident Involving an Out-of-State Driver

Things can quickly become more complicated if you are involved in a car accident with an out-of-state driver. Here’s what you should do if it happens.

Pursuing an injury claim can be a stressful experience. If you find yourself in a St. Louis crash involving an out-of-state driver, things can get even more confusing and complicated. Many questions arise: How do you pursue your claim for personal injuries and damages? Where should you report the accident? Which state’s insurance laws will your claim be based on? Let’s consider the answers to these questions and what you should do if you are involved in a St. Louis car accident with an out-of-state driver.

man in a car accident with an out of state driver

Where Should You Report the Accident?

Generally, since the accident happened in St. Louis, the state of Missouri, under the “Long-Arm” Statute, has jurisdiction over the matter. Therefore, you need to report the incident to St. Louis Police. Also, as with any auto crash, it is important to inform your vehicle’s insurer about the accident right away. Don’t forget to gather evidence and exchange insurance info with the out-of-state driver.

Filing Your Injury Claim: Which State’s Auto-Insurance Laws Will Be Applied?

Each state has its own auto-insurance laws and procedures. The location and state where the accident happened will generally dictate which laws are in effect. So, if your accident happened in Missouri, you’ll generally follow Missouri laws to determine who is liable and how to go about getting compensation.

Since these accidents take time to resolve, it can be difficult to negotiate with an out-of-state party. After all, they will likely head back home before the process is complete.

What To Do If You Are Involved in a Crash With an Out-of-State Driver

Here are some general steps you should follow if you are involved in a car accident with an out -of-state driver:

Again, it is important to understand that negotiating these types of cases can be more difficult in these situations.

Consult An Experienced Auto Accident Attorney

Before you make any decision regarding your injuries or claim, contact an auto attorney. An experienced attorney can guide you through the process and ensure your legal rights are protected.

If you or one of your family members has been injured in a St. Louis accident involving a non-resident driver, contact The Hoffmann Law Firm today to discuss your legal options.

FREE Consultation

Speak with an experienced attorney 24/7

Updated: June 29, 2021