“Does My Uninsured Motorist Policy Cover an Out-of-State Accident?”

The stress of dealing with a car accident could increase significantly if the crash occurred while visiting another state.

You don’t know anyone, the surroundings are unfamiliar, and it can feel like you are on your own. If the other driver is also uninsured, you may go into panic mode, thinking that you will have to pay for your costs out-of-pocket.

Whether the accident took place in your hometown or out-of-state, it’s important to follow a few steps to ensure that you and those around you are safe. These steps will also help you when you file your claim. 

We know what you may be asking: if the accident happened out of state and the at-fault driver is uninsured, will my policy still cover me? 

The answer is generally yes. However, here’s what you will need to do. 

Report the Accident to Your Insurance Company

Insurance companies generally extend their coverage to all areas within the United States. So, if you’ve bought insurance in Missouri (including uninsured motorist) but a driver hit you in Texas, then you will still generally be covered as stated in your policy. 

After you’ve ensured that everyone is safe from harm and have cleared your mind, you should contact your insurance company to tell them about the accident. Depending on the company’s policy, they could refer you to an adjuster from where the accident took place. 

If you need to spend time in the hospital in the area the accident occurred, your uninsured motorist will generally cover you as described in your policy. The coverage minimums are set at $25,000 per person and $50,000 per accident.

If you want to have your car repaired at a shop near the place where the accident took place, then the insurance company should be able to provide some assistance in this regard too. They can put you in contact with different towing companies and mechanics and help you fix your car even if you are hundreds of miles away from home. 

Speak With an Experienced St. Louis Car Accident Lawyer

As long as you have sufficient coverage, and your claim falls within your policy’s guidelines, you should be able to file a claim for an out-of-state accident. 

However, because insurance companies are for-profit organizations, they will try to take advantage of any mistake to minimize your claim. 

Get in touch with an experienced St. Louis auto accident attorney as soon as possible after an auto accident. They can tell you if the company is acting in bad faith and help you protect your legal rights moving forward.

Updated: December 23, 2020